Latest news stories and opinions about the Dental, GP and Care Industries. For your ease of use, we have established categories under which you can source the relevant articles and news items.
Do You Recruit Using Social Media?
It’s estimated that a quarter of the world’s population now uses social media; it’s a good job I’m not a betting person! So how many of us use social media when recruiting?
Research made by the CIPD suggests that “6% of employers ‘always’ look at job applicants’ online activity or profiles to inform recruitment decisions”.
The use of social media in recruitment
Do you fit into that 6%? Ex-colleagues of mine have done so when recruiting and used Facebook, maybe that’s why they are ex-colleagues. Whist the use of social media in recruitment is increasing, and not necessarily, unlawful the more professional sites, e.g. LinkedIn, will give a better perspective of who you could be employing. In general, people use Facebook for personal, and therefore essentially private, purposes. I would be interested to see how many of the 6% would admit to searching using Facebook.
Here are a few things to consider when recruiting using social media:
- Ensure the information you find is accurate.
- Collect only such information as is relevant to the vacancy for which you are recruiting.
- Keep it professional, use LinkedIn, perhaps Google. Stay well away from Facebook.
- Inform candidates that the use of social media may be used to collect information about them from the offset.
- Adopt AB07 - Computer, Email and Internet Usage Policy and Procedure from the QCS Policy Centre.
- If you are processing personal information, ensure that you comply with the Data Protection Act.
I’m yet to speak to a manager that uses social media in the care sector, but I will be very interested to hear about the pros and cons of using this method.
Whilst not being a fan of recruitment using social media, I expect that this will be the way forward for many employers, and ultimately I will be converted too.
Anita Manfredi of Employer Solutions – QCS HR Expert Contributor