Ask Sheila - Archive England

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and therefore is no longer available to answer your social care questions. However, you might still find the answer you’ve been searching for down below.

30th September 2015

CRB for independently working qualified nurse

Hello Sheila, How can I do CRB with CQC because I want yo work independently as a qualified Nurse

How can I get a CRB to work independently as a qualified nurseRDear Priscilla,

CRB is now known as the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).

Your case may be problematic as checks are supposed to be asked for by employers but I am sure a solution can be found.

You should go to the DBS website which you can find at:

You can then speak to DBS if you wish or you can find an umbrella body in your area and contact them. This is the link to the list of umbrella bodies:

I would suggest that you find a local one as you will need to have your ID checked.

Best wishes.


*All information is correct at the time of publishing.

About Sheila

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and over the years , prior to her retirement she has answered thousands of your social questions. You can still access the many questions below.

For Sheila Scott OBE as the former CEO of National Care Association (NCA), care is Sheila's life. She possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business, and as a leader in the care sector.

Please do get in touch with our team of specialists if you can’t see an answer to the question you may have and we will be happy to help.

Here at QCS we have an extensive panel of specialists with a wide range of knowledge and experience so don’t worry if you have a social care question you are struggling to find the answer to, our team are here to help.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top