Ask Sheila - Archive England

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and therefore is no longer available to answer your social care questions. However, you might still find the answer you’ve been searching for down below.

16th August 2017

How do I appeal a funding decision?

Due to the great level of care provided at our care home , we recently had one of our residents taken off the fast-track path and assessed as requiring nursing by the county nurse-assessor. However, the funding panel ignored this assessment and agreed to only pay at the residential rate. When trying to appeal this we were informed that there was no formal appeal process. There could be no clearer indication that this county put a greater importance on their budgets than they do on care. What can we do about this? Our matron is currently recording all nursing care provided to this resident.

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your question which of course is extremely serious.

What you need to consider along with the family of the service user is that the person at the heart of this decision, the service user, is the person that should be appealing the decision not to fund the nursing care.

Although you will be assisting the person and their family it is the service user that is being denied nursing care and therefore all appeals and complaints should be made by them or their next of kin.

There is more than one way of looking at how to deal with this:

1. I think that a letter should be sent to the Service Director and/or your local Councillor raising the issue and see what their response is.

2. Your Council does not appear to have an appeals process for Adult Social Care decisions but it seems to expect that these issues will be dealt with as a complaint and you can read about that process on their website by putting Social care complaints into the County Council website's search engine.

If neither of these approaches work then there are two other options I think:

1. Write to the person's MP.

2. Consider whether or not by denying the appropriate funding to the service user that this has become a safeguarding issue.

Your final course of action is to contact the Local Government Ombudsman but you have to have gone through any appeals or complaints processes before you can do that.

I know that many other providers of Adult Social Care will be in the same position that you are in and that many, many people continue to receive care that is not being appropriately funded through the goodwill of the social care provider.

Best wishes,


*All information is correct at the time of publishing.

About Sheila

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and over the years , prior to her retirement she has answered thousands of your social questions. You can still access the many questions below.

For Sheila Scott OBE as the former CEO of National Care Association (NCA), care is Sheila's life. She possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business, and as a leader in the care sector.

Please do get in touch with our team of specialists if you can’t see an answer to the question you may have and we will be happy to help.

Here at QCS we have an extensive panel of specialists with a wide range of knowledge and experience so don’t worry if you have a social care question you are struggling to find the answer to, our team are here to help.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top