Ask Sheila - Archive England

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and therefore is no longer available to answer your social care questions. However, you might still find the answer you’ve been searching for down below.

10th March 2016

Is a DBS certificate necessary for the operation of an admin/budgeting support service?


I'm planning to operate a small business as a sole trader offering an admin/budgeting & inter-agency communication support type service to those elderly people at home who may need a hand.
My question is whether or not I would need a CRB certificate?


Dear Lucy,

The Criminal Records Bureau has been renamed the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and you can read more about the DBS at

As a sole worker and trader I believe it would be reassuring to your potential clients to know that a DBS check had been undertaken.

It could well be a unique selling point.

With best wishes.



*All information is correct at the time of publishing.

About Sheila

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and over the years , prior to her retirement she has answered thousands of your social questions. You can still access the many questions below.

For Sheila Scott OBE as the former CEO of National Care Association (NCA), care is Sheila's life. She possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business, and as a leader in the care sector.

Please do get in touch with our team of specialists if you can’t see an answer to the question you may have and we will be happy to help.

Here at QCS we have an extensive panel of specialists with a wide range of knowledge and experience so don’t worry if you have a social care question you are struggling to find the answer to, our team are here to help.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top