Ask Sheila - Archive England

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and therefore is no longer available to answer your social care questions. However, you might still find the answer you’ve been searching for down below.

19th September 2018

Is there a consent form that gives authority for family to sign on behalf of the service user?

Hi Sheila, is there a consent form that gives authority for family to sign on behalf of the service user. This would be where the service user has capacity but would like a family member to deal with all care paperwork and reviews.


Dear P,


Thank you for your question.


As far as I am aware there is not a formal consent for this purpose.


It is though perfectly acceptable for a service user to sign an agreement that they would like a particular close relative to act on their behalf and to identify the areas for which the authorisation is being given.


As people get older they so often do not want to have all the aggravation involved to carry out the many administrative tasks that we face every week.


As a provider you need to be sure that the consent is properly documented and if I were you I would get a third party to witness the service users signature.


Some service users might wish to involve a solicitor in signing such a consent form.


This advice relates to people with Mental Capacity.


Advice and guidance on matters relating to people who lack capacity can be found on the Office of the Public Guardian website.


I hope this is helpful.


Best wishes.



*All information is correct at the time of publishing.

About Sheila

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and over the years , prior to her retirement she has answered thousands of your social questions. You can still access the many questions below.

For Sheila Scott OBE as the former CEO of National Care Association (NCA), care is Sheila's life. She possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business, and as a leader in the care sector.

Please do get in touch with our team of specialists if you can’t see an answer to the question you may have and we will be happy to help.

Here at QCS we have an extensive panel of specialists with a wide range of knowledge and experience so don’t worry if you have a social care question you are struggling to find the answer to, our team are here to help.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top