Ask Sheila - Archive England

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and therefore is no longer available to answer your social care questions. However, you might still find the answer you’ve been searching for down below.

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and over the years , prior to her retirement she has answered thousands of your social questions. You can still access the many questions below.

For Sheila Scott OBE as the former CEO of National Care Association (NCA), care is Sheila's life. She possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business, and as a leader in the care sector.

Please do get in touch with our team of specialists if you can’t see an answer to the question you may have and we will be happy to help.

Here at QCS we have an extensive panel of specialists with a wide range of knowledge and experience so don’t worry if you have a social care question you are struggling to find the answer to, our team are here to help.

    Latest Questions

    Standby without pay

    Can a company make you be on standby without pay when you have a 36 hour contract and you have done your 36 hours that week as you cannot make plans with your days off?

    Dear Christine, We are lucky here at QCS that we have professionals we are able to refer to when a question requires an answer from an expert in another field so...

    Read full answer

    Extra Care Housing Program

    I would like to find more information on the Extra Care Housing Program in England and Wales. Can you help me with this? Also do you believe this program would work in the United States? Separate homes sound more attractive than living in an Assisted Living Facility.

    Dear Lisa, The Elderly Accommodation Council's ( definition of Extra Care Housing is: "Extra Care Housing is housing designed with the needs of frailer older people in mind and with varying levels...

    Read full answer

    Reviewing care plans

    We are tired of reprinting the same care plans for residents whose needs have not changed month in and month out.Also we do not feel comforted to just mention ‘NO CHANGES’ in the monthly review if no changes have been noted in the case of some residents.

    What is your advice as to ‘How to review and what to mention in successive care plans and reviews of residents whose needs have not changed.’?

    Dear Pravin, You are required to review and sign that you have reviewed every care plan at least once per month. It is essential that you do this. I don't know if you...

    Read full answer

    Supported living units

    Hi Sheila

    I am interested in registering a supported living unit in Huntingdon in the Cambridgeshire region , l have been in contact with CQC and they have informed me that they do not register supported living units.

    My question were do l go for registration any advice will greatly appreciated at this point.


    Supported living units are not subject to specialist registration. They are viewed as housing and are therefore subject to planning law and building control regulation. Any personal care that is provided...

    Read full answer

    Finding new homecare clients

    Good Afternoon Sheila,
    I am a Domiciliary Care provider who has recently registered with the CQC. I am finding it very difficult to find clients, I have been in contact with my local council but wanted to see if you had any further suggestions on how to find new clients? Thank you – Sarah

    Dear Sarah, It is always difficult for a new provider to get started. It is essential that all providers remember that at least 40% of all Adult Social Care will be purchased...

    Read full answer

    Literature on new CQC inspections

    Where can I obtain literature from in respect of the new guidelines for CQC inspections? – Amanda

    Dear Amanda, Not surprisingly, the first place to go is the CQC website. You will get the basic information here and more detailed information here Quality Compliance Systems, has also written...

    Read full answer

    Qualifications for domiciliary care manager

    Hi Sheila

    In applying for a job as a care manager for a private sector Domiciliary Care in the community, the requirement of a qualification advertised was for a diploma level 5 in health and social care. I have Level 5 in Management and Development (with the Institute of Leadership and Management) would this qualification qualify for registering as the care manager? – Anne

    Hi Anne, You may find the following CQC document helpful:  "Qualifications and continuing professional development requirements for registered managers and for the practitioners they supervise" There is also plenty of helpful information...

    Read full answer

    Pensions Regulator

    I was speaking to another care provider at a meeting last week and they told me that they had received a letter from the Pensions Regulator with information about what they have to do to carry out their duties and what date those duties will start. I haven’t received anything, is there something I should be doing? – Max

    Dear Max, This is the latest information we have from the Pensions Regulator: Automatic enrolment: Look out for a letter from The Pensions Regulator The Pensions Regulator will be writing to ALL small...

    Read full answer

    Care Cert for home care agency

    As agency providing home care and ad-hoc staff support to care homes, what is the expected criteria we have to meet in line with the care certificate? What measures can we use to assess staff competency? While assessing for competency in people’s homes could be achievable, how do we assess the competency of workers sent to support care homes considering the how busy the home could be and confidentiality and dignity of the service users. – Elizabeth

    Dear Elizabeth, Thank you for your question. As I wasn't sure of the answer, I contacted Skills for Care who have sent me the following comprehensive answer. 'It would not be possible for...

    Read full answer

    Administering medication in a nursing home

    What qualifications are needed to administrate medication in a nursing home, does it have to be a registered nurse? – Susan

    Dear Susan, A  care home (nursing) employs Registered Nurses and the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) "requires each Registered Nurse to be individually accountable for making sure that all medicines are...

    Read full answer

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top