Ask Sheila - Archive England

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and therefore is no longer available to answer your social care questions. However, you might still find the answer you’ve been searching for down below.

09th August 2017

Does personal care only need to be registered in a person’s home?

Hi Sheila,

My question is similar to above:
I am setting up day care provision for young adults with disabilities and we will be offering PC.
Having gone through all the documents on the CQC and emailing them three times I am still confused.
I seem to think they are saying that only if PC is conducted in the client's place of residence do you require to be registered. I will be offering day care in a purpose built building registered for the business.
When I asked they just replied saying it was up to providers to make the decision but I am so worried about getting this wrong.

Are you able to help please?
Many Thanks,

Dear Georgina,

Thank you for your question.

I must refer you back to the answer I gave to a similar question in June:

"There is clear guidance on the Care Quality Commission (CQC) website about Day Centres.

If you look at the CQC website and this particular page about the provision of personal care you will see that personal care is defined as:

"The regulated activity of personal care consists of the provision of personal care for people who are unable to provide it for themselves, because of old age, illness or disability, and which is provided to them in the place where those people are living at the time when the care is provided. As an example, this includes personal care provided by a domiciliary care agency. It also includes Shared Lives schemes."

If you go to page 3 of this briefing document you will see in the flow chart that day care is identified as being out of scope."

I particularly draw your attention to page 3 and the flow chart which clearly states that day care is out of the scope of registration.

This is about the regulation and not about any of our personal opinion of what the regulation should be.

You refer to younger adults in your question. If, of course, you were looking to provide care for children then you would need to be referring to Ofsted.

Best wishes.


*All information is correct at the time of publishing.

About Sheila

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and over the years , prior to her retirement she has answered thousands of your social questions. You can still access the many questions below.

For Sheila Scott OBE as the former CEO of National Care Association (NCA), care is Sheila's life. She possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business, and as a leader in the care sector.

Please do get in touch with our team of specialists if you can’t see an answer to the question you may have and we will be happy to help.

Here at QCS we have an extensive panel of specialists with a wide range of knowledge and experience so don’t worry if you have a social care question you are struggling to find the answer to, our team are here to help.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top