Sheila will try to answer as many of your English Social Care questions as possible, giving priority to frequently asked questions and questions regarding current events and trends.
Residential unit for people with substance misuse
I am a registered manager in am adult clinic which is a residential unit for people with substance misuse.
I have a friend who also manages a similar service and she was told by the CQC that clients should have a key for their rooms.
For me this highlights significant problems and risks.
Please could you share your thoughts
Thank you for your question.
You are the Registered Manager and therefore you carry the responsibility for the way the service is managed.
Like you I am surprised that this blanket approach has been suggested by a CQC inspector.
I am not an expert in the provision of services caring for people with a history of substance misuse but these are my thoughts:
- This is primarily an issue about risk.
- There are many people involved in the care of your service users.
- I believe that family, friends and health professionals should be involved in any risk assessment and decision as well of course as the service user.
- Any decision that is made should be subject to regular review.
- The outcome may not be the same for each service user.
- Any risk assessment that you undertake should be wide ranging to cover all the issues and the reasons for the decision.
If you want to discuss this further or if your colleague does please email me again.
What would you like to ask Sheila?
Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector.
Sheila will try to answer as many of your questions as possible, giving priority to frequently asked questions and questions regarding current events and trends.
Please note that Sheila can not offer answers to matters requiring legal advice. If your matter concerns a specific service provider, please contact the CQC.