Latest news stories and opinions about the Dental, GP and Care Industries. For your ease of use, we have established categories under which you can source the relevant articles and news items.
Love your Bones Day – What to do to reduce your risk of falls?
Download our poster here, it tells you what you can do to reduce your risk of falls
Did you know...
- 1 in 3 people over 65 are likely to experience a fall
- 1 in 2 if you are over 80
- 30% of falls are preventable
- Roughly 1 in 10 falls result in a bone fracture
- We don’t want you to be in these statistics
What can you do?
- Ensure that you are drinking plenty, stay well hydrated and have a balanced, nutritious diet
- If you are taking medication, when was this last reviewed? Consider a medical review
- If you do not feel well, seek help
- Look after your feet or get someone to help you
- Regularly check your eyesight and hearing by a professional
- Continence can be an issue for some, seek help if you find you are rushing to get to a toilet
- Have suitable lighting in place
- Remove any obstacles in your way
- Ensure that you have things to hand that you need
- Wear suitable footwear
- Stay active as much as possible
- Build your balance
- Strengthen your legs
- Give yourself plenty of time when moving from lying or sitting to walking
- Remain confident in your ability and try not to fear a fall
- Consider the use of devices and aids to help keep you moving
Staff are available to provide you with further information, advice and guidance if you have any questions.
*All information is correct at the time of publishing. Use of this material is subject to your acceptance of our terms and conditions.