Ask Sheila - Archive England

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and therefore is no longer available to answer your social care questions. However, you might still find the answer you’ve been searching for down below.

16th November 2016

Self-employed and CQC registered?

Do I have to be CQC registered if I'm self-employed and looking after a lady doing personal care, etc?


Dear Pamela,


The immediate answer to your question is no, you do not have to register providing this is:


  1. A private arrangement between you and the person you are caring for, and
  2. The person is paying you directly (this can be with personal budget money but the contract must be between you and the person you are caring for).


There is full information about this on pages 14 and 15 of the CQC Scope of Registration document which you can find at CQC - The Scope of Registration


Best wishes.



*All information is correct at the time of publishing.

About Sheila

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and over the years , prior to her retirement she has answered thousands of your social questions. You can still access the many questions below.

For Sheila Scott OBE as the former CEO of National Care Association (NCA), care is Sheila's life. She possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business, and as a leader in the care sector.

Please do get in touch with our team of specialists if you can’t see an answer to the question you may have and we will be happy to help.

Here at QCS we have an extensive panel of specialists with a wide range of knowledge and experience so don’t worry if you have a social care question you are struggling to find the answer to, our team are here to help.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top