Ask Sheila - Archive England

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and therefore is no longer available to answer your social care questions. However, you might still find the answer you’ve been searching for down below.

03rd March 2015

Supported living units

Hi Sheila

I am interested in registering a supported living unit in Huntingdon in the Cambridgeshire region , l have been in contact with CQC and they have informed me that they do not register supported living units.

My question were do l go for registration any advice will greatly appreciated at this point.


Supported living units are not subject to specialist registration. They are viewed as housing and are therefore subject to planning law and building control regulation.

Any personal care that is provided in the supported living though is subject to registration

A useful source of information is

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,

*All information is correct at the time of publishing.

About Sheila

Sheila Scott OBE has now retired and over the years , prior to her retirement she has answered thousands of your social questions. You can still access the many questions below.

For Sheila Scott OBE as the former CEO of National Care Association (NCA), care is Sheila's life. She possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business, and as a leader in the care sector.

Please do get in touch with our team of specialists if you can’t see an answer to the question you may have and we will be happy to help.

Here at QCS we have an extensive panel of specialists with a wide range of knowledge and experience so don’t worry if you have a social care question you are struggling to find the answer to, our team are here to help.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top