Advice for a full time worker setting up a domiciliary care? | QCS

Morning, I have 2 questions for you please.


First, I want to know how to have insurance, presumably 2 types of insurance, ready for CQC registration when the business is not in operation yet?


My second question is because I am full time employee planning to go into business. To reduce my overhead, I want to start from using my fully prepared shed as an office including support from a virtual assistant office. Do I need to register both addresses with CQC as they will handle my calls and letters at the beginning when I would be part time at first?


Thank you very much for your help.

Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott


Dear Anita,


Thank you for your questions.


My best advice to the first part is that you should speak to a specialist broker such as Howdens who deal with this sort of question all the time and they will tell you what to do.


With regard to the second part of your question where are the books etc. going to be kept i.e. staff records, resident’s records, DBS checks etc.?


If it is your shed, the important thing to remember is that all your records need to be secure. You have an important duty of confidentiality.


On reflection I think it has to be on your premises really, but you may wish to discuss that with the CQC call centre and your insurers.


Make sure that you have a lockable filing cabinet which must be fire proof.


Best wishes.



About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions