Advice on gaining management experience | QCS

Hi Sheila,

I am planning to open a residential care home with learning difficulties but I have never get the chance to practice as a deputy or manager.

Please advise, thank you.

Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott

Dear Umila,

Thank you for your enquiry – you certainly ask an interesting and complex question.  If I understand you correctly you are asking how you can get the manager or deputy experience required before you begin the process of opening a care home.

  • When you get to the point of registration these will be some of the key factors of interest to CQC:
  • What has your experience been of working in a care home?
  • Have you been a senior care worker?
  • What qualifications do you have?
  • Do you intend to be both the Responsible Person and the Registered Manager?

You will need to look at the CQC’s website about the registration of a new provider:

You will have to give details of your relevant qualifications, skills and experience in relation to managing the regulated activities you are applying to be registered for.

Further information can be found here:

I think you will probably have to gain some more experience of working in a senior position in a care home. This will not be easy to achieve but you need to try to find a position in a home looking for an interim Manager or Deputy.

You need to make enquiries about undertaking the Level 5 in Care Leadership and Management unless you are already working towards this. You should also try to speak to CQC to ask them.

If you are still struggling to find the answer to your question come back to us with your phone number and I will try to help.

Best wishes,

About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions