Ask the Care Specialists

Welcome to our 'Ask the Care Specialists', your one-stop portal for social care-related questions. Our team of specialists will try to answer as many of your Social Care questions as possible.

As a Registered Manager who will be away from work for 6 weeks, what are my responsibilities and what do I need to put in place while I am away?

As a Registered Manager who will be away from work for 6 weeks, what are my responsibilities and what do I need to put in place while I am away?

Firstly you should read the guidance on the CQC website, you will find this and the notification form required here


If the Registered Manager is absent for more than 28 days, you need to formally inform CQC. CQC will need to know what arrangements are in place to manage the service and the regulated activity in your absence to ensure continuity. You know your role better than anyone so I would suggest you sit down and prepare an action plan of what it is you do and when. That way you can action plan tasks, roles, and responsibilities during your absence.


As part of your action plan you can prioritise these tasks as some may be able to wait until your return:


Have you considered:


  • An interim manager – recruitment agencies and consultants offer these services
  • The responsible individual, deputy or senior staff member stepping in short term if they have the required experience and expertise
  • Other managers as part of your provider's organisation structure such as a peripatetic or area manager who may be able to step in and assist. If so, how often?


The benefits of an action plan are that you can break down your tasks and plans week by week but make sure that you do not hold too much back until you return as this can be overwhelming too.


Once your action plan is complete you can then, if needed, complete a risk plan for any risks that have been identified as part of your plans.


What happens in an emergency?


Do you also need to review your Business Continuity Plans as this may also have guidance in place for such an event?


You need to make sure that any emergency contact information and numbers are changed over to make sure you are not contacted during your absence as this is often overlooked.


The response is fairly short as the requirements from CQC are clear in terms of notifications and your business planning process should ideally cover the rest.

Barry Price

Specialist in Adults with Learning Disabilities and Complex Needs

What would you like to ask our Specialists?

Have you got a social care question that you just can't find the answer to? Our team of sector specialists is here to provide you with easy-to-understand top tips on a wide range of topics, from dementia, mental health to employment law or every day operational queries to help you deliver outstanding care.

We try to answer as many of your questions as possible. We give priority to frequently asked questions and questions regarding current events and trends. To learn more about the team visit:

Please note that our specialists cannot offer answers to matters requiring legal advice. Please do have a look at our website at other answers provided by our experts and in our Expert Insights section There is a wealth of information here freely accessible that could help you.

Important note: We are not in any way affiliated or connected to the Care Quality Commission, Care Inspectorate Scotland, or Care Inspectorate Wales. If your query relates to someone who is at risk of harm or in danger, you must follow your local safeguarding procedures. It is important that you speak to your regulator who will provide you with the best guidance and support.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top