As a self-employed carer, do I need to register with the CQC? | QCS

I work as a private self-employed carer with a national platform care agency that is not registered with the CQC. I provide personal care. As a private carer, do I need to be personally registered with the CQC?

Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott


Private self-employed carers referred to as Personal Assistants by CQC who are directly employed by an individual, or related third party, and self-employed PAs with an agreement to work directly for an individual does not need to be CQC registered. This is because the current Regulated Activity of personal care sets out an exemption relating to PAs. Depending on how the ‘national platform care agency’ you work for operates, they may need to be registered to provide personal care with CQC. Skills for Care have published some helpful information on this which you can read here.

About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions