How to become a private carer | QCS

I live in Bicester Oxfordshire and have 20 years in care. I have the NVQ 3 in care, City in Guilds in train the trainer, people handling & risk assessment, key trainer’s certificate, health and safety level 2 for managers and other certificates. I was awarded the cross of Malta for my hard work in a care home. My question is I would like to be a private carer but do not know how to get the right advice on how to start?

Thank you.

Kind regards,


Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott

Dear Alice,

I think you are looking to provide care to just one service user.

If I am right then most people call this position a personal assistant.

If you go to the Skills for Care website and put personal assistants into the search engine you will find a great deal of information and advice.

You will also find information on the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) website

The issue for you now may be how to meet a potential client.

I think to begin with you might approach a home care agency and also you should look out for adverts in your local paper.

Of course you can also do a search on line.

One of the important things that you need to consider is having the proper insurance.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes.


About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions