Caroline | QCS

Hi Senga,
I am looking to start a day centre for adults with autism in my area. The centre would have a maximum capacity of 25 service users.
Can you tell me what type of licences and qualifications are required?

Senga Currie
Answered by Senga Currie

Hi Caroline


You would have to register your service with the Care Inspectorate, information on this can found here. This will tell you what is required prior to starting up your business, you cannot operate until you have registered with them.


All health and social care staff must be registered with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). They are the social service workforce regulator in Scotland. They list qualifications required for all grades of staff,  if you don’t have them, you must work towards them to remain registered.


Details of this can be found here.


Please get in touch if we at QCS can help you.



About Senga Currie

Senga has been a registered mental nurse and registered general nurse for 38 years, working in various areas within the NHS, community nursing, the field of addictions and the private sector.

Since 1998 she has been working with care homes, starting as a nursing sister and moving into roles of home manager, regional manager, care services manager and regulation manager. Read more

Related Questions