Ask the Care Specialists

Welcome to our 'Ask the Care Specialists', your one-stop portal for social care-related questions. Our team of specialists will try to answer as many of your Social Care questions as possible.

As an independent carer, how do I become CQC registered?

As an independent carer, how do I become CQC registered?

To enable you to be registered with CQC you need to be a provider of care.  This means as an individual, company or other legal entity, you are delivering care and are managing that care. If your clients are managing the care, then you would be acting as a Personal Assistant and exempt from registering. For more information, there are two documents which will be helpful to you.  The scope of registration and this document

If you do decide to become a provider as an individual, I am presuming you will undertake personal care as the regulated activity. You should follow the guidance set out by CQC that you can find on this page (paying attention particular to number 4). There are lots of things you must have in place, which you will find through the link provided including policies, procedures and insurance to name just a few. Do remember that if you change to managing the regulated activity, it is important that you do not do this until you are registered as otherwise you will be providing a service unlawfully.

Abi Spence

Registration and Inspection Specialist

Abi has worked for and with Government agencies relevant to social care for the past 12+ years. Primarily with the Department of Health, Social Services Inspectorate, Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI) and since its inception the Care Quality Commission (CQC). As part of this long involvement Abi has developed a wide and detailed understanding of relevant issues and has worked closely with stakeholders such as people that use services, carers, providers, local government, the Department of Health, Ofsted and the Audit Commission. Read more

What would you like to ask our Specialists?

Have you got a social care question that you just can't find the answer to? Our team of sector specialists is here to provide you with easy-to-understand top tips on a wide range of topics, from dementia, mental health to employment law or every day operational queries to help you deliver outstanding care.

We try to answer as many of your questions as possible. We give priority to frequently asked questions and questions regarding current events and trends. To learn more about the team visit:

Please note that our specialists cannot offer answers to matters requiring legal advice. Please do have a look at our website at other answers provided by our experts and in our Expert Insights section There is a wealth of information here freely accessible that could help you.

Important note: We are not in any way affiliated or connected to the Care Quality Commission, Care Inspectorate Scotland, or Care Inspectorate Wales. If your query relates to someone who is at risk of harm or in danger, you must follow your local safeguarding procedures. It is important that you speak to your regulator who will provide you with the best guidance and support.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top