Ask the Care Specialists

Welcome to our 'Ask the Care Specialists', your one-stop portal for social care-related questions. Our team of specialists will try to answer as many of your Social Care questions as possible.

Is it necessary to register with the CQC when providing supported living to service users with mental health issues?

Is it necessary to register with the CQC when providing supported living to service users with mental health issues?

CQC give helpful information on page 21 of the Scope of Registration –


Regulated Activity Personal Care

'This regulated activity does not apply if your service does not provide the activities defined as personal care. See Regulation 2 and Schedule 1(1) of the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014 for full details. It is the nature of the care (activity) being provided that determines the need for registration and which regulated activity is applicable. For example, you do not need to register if you only provide housing support or social support (such as help with shopping), but no tasks that are included in the definition of personal care. Similarly, you do not need to register for the activity if you only provide support to administer, prompt or supervise medicines but do not intend to provide any of the activities defined as personal care.'


In addition, I cannot ascertain from your question how you have defined your service is ‘supported living’.  Please see additional guidance the CQC has developed here on housing with care.

Abi Spence

Registration and Inspection Specialist

Abi has worked for and with Government agencies relevant to social care for the past 12+ years. Primarily with the Department of Health, Social Services Inspectorate, Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI) and since its inception the Care Quality Commission (CQC). As part of this long involvement Abi has developed a wide and detailed understanding of relevant issues and has worked closely with stakeholders such as people that use services, carers, providers, local government, the Department of Health, Ofsted and the Audit Commission. Read more

What would you like to ask our Specialists?

Have you got a social care question that you just can't find the answer to? Our team of sector specialists are here to provide you with easy-to-understand top tips on a wide range of topics, from dementia, mental health to employment law or every day operational queries to help you deliver outstanding care.

Our specialists will try to answer as many of your questions as possible, giving priority to frequently asked questions and questions regarding current events and trends. To learn more about the team visit:

Please note that our specialists cannot offer answers to matters requiring legal advice. If your matter concerns a specific service provider, please contact the CQC. If your query relates to someone who is at risk of harm or in danger you must follow your local safeguarding procedures.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top