Ask the Care Specialists

Welcome to our 'Ask the Care Specialists', your one-stop portal for social care-related questions. Our team of specialists will try to answer as many of your Social Care questions as possible.

Is it necessary to register with the CQC when setting up an introductory live-in care service?

I am looking to set up an introductory live-in care service. Should l register with the CQC?

There are two answers to this question so I will keep my reply as short and to the point as possible in order to ensure I don’t confuse the issue.

The Care Quality Commission is the regulator who is responsible Health and Social Care in the UK. The CQC oversees services managing “Regulated activities” as defined in the Health and Social Care Act 2008 Legislation.

Right let’s see.

Live In” Care services are routinely registered with CQC as a “Homecare Agency” stating as part of the registration what specialisms and services they offer such as: Dementia, Learning disabilities, Mental health conditions, Personal care, Physical disabilities, Sensory impairments, Caring for adults under 65 yrs, Caring for adults over 65 yrs. If you employ or train care staff yourself then registration with the CQC is usually required.

If instead you are planning to operate as your business proposal states, then this as I see it would fall outside of the scope of registration with CQC.

As an introduction agency your role would be very clear and you would act as match maker in effect between a Live in Carer (Care Provider) and Client or representative who is looking for care.

You would need to be very clear about your business model with both Carer and Client providing information on options such as “Self employed” or “Employee Status” with the client being the employer. You would have no responsibilities with regards to the ongoing contract other than introducing both sides. Ongoing issues such as DBS, Training, Supervision, PAYE, Annual Leave and other contractual arrangements are all completed between Carer and Client.

There are opportunities for introduction agencies to register with organisations such as UK Home Care Association (UKHCA).

I hope this satisfies your enquiry but it is really quite a clear cut answer.

Barry Price

Specialist in Adults with Learning Disabilities and Complex Needs

What would you like to ask our Specialists?

Have you got a social care question that you just can't find the answer to? Our team of sector specialists is here to provide you with easy-to-understand top tips on a wide range of topics, from dementia, mental health to employment law or every day operational queries to help you deliver outstanding care.

We try to answer as many of your questions as possible. We give priority to frequently asked questions and questions regarding current events and trends. To learn more about the team visit:

Please note that our specialists cannot offer answers to matters requiring legal advice. Please do have a look at our website at other answers provided by our experts and in our Expert Insights section There is a wealth of information here freely accessible that could help you.

Important note: We are not in any way affiliated or connected to the Care Quality Commission, Care Inspectorate Scotland, or Care Inspectorate Wales. If your query relates to someone who is at risk of harm or in danger, you must follow your local safeguarding procedures. It is important that you speak to your regulator who will provide you with the best guidance and support.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top