Occupational therapist opening home | QCS

Can an Occupational Therapist open a care home?

Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott

Occupational therapist opening homeDear Debbie,

There are a number of steps that need to be gone through to become a Registered Care Home Provider.

To operate a care home you have to be registered by the Care Quality Commission.

Your first point of call therefore should be to read their guidance about registration which you can find on these 2 web pages:



If you also wanted to be the Registered Manager then you should also look at http://www.cqc.org.uk/content/apply-new-registered-manager

These pages set out the requirements needed for registration.

I am certain that your experience as an Occupational Therapist would be an important consideration in registering you as a provider.

Whether it would also fill the criteria for becoming a Registered Manager is less clear, so if you want to become the Registered Manager too you should look at the experience, knowledge and qualifications required and try to cross reference where you meet the criteria and look to fill the gaps.

Best wishes.


About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions