What is personal care and when should it be registered? | QCS

I am enquiring about CQC registration. I know that a day centre for people with dementia would not need to be registered with the CQC. However, if you provide personal care you do need to be. What would constitute personal care? If people are pretty independent but need to be escorted to the toilet (but not assisted in there) and I suppose might occasionally have an ‘accident’ and need some support that would not be personal care?
Also, if people come with medication and need prompting to take, you wouldn’t need to be registered for that would you? Presumably just a policy on this? I would really appreciate your feedback! Many thanks.

Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott

Dear Kathleen,


Thank you for your question.


There is clear guidance on the Care Quality Commission (CQC) website about Day Centres.


If you look at the CQC website and this particular page about the provision of personal care you will see that personal care is defined as:


“The regulated activity of personal care consists of the provision of personal care for people who are unable to provide it for themselves, because of old age, illness or disability, and which is provided to them in the place where those people are living at the time when the care is provided. As an example, this includes personal care provided by a domiciliary care agency. It also includes Shared Lives schemes.”




If you go to page 3 you will see in the flow chart that day care is identified as being out of scope.


I hope that this is helpful.


Please come back to me if u have further questions.



About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions