Respite care for wife | QCS

My wife is 75 and has MS. Because of the severity of her condition she receives NHS continuing healthcare at home.

I am her principal carer 24/7, with visits from numerous agencies. On inquiry I have arranged in principle for a week’s respite care in a nursing home later this year, and also a weekly break for part of the year.

Is there are written information about this anywhere? It seems odd that I have to ask in order to find this out. Should not someone have told me? What about the people who do not ask?

All the usual carers’ agencies deny knowledge of any written material.

I’d be glad of your comments.

Derrick Shelley

Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott

Dear Derrick,

Thank you for your question.

There is a not for profit organisation called Care Aware. Their email address is

They will be able to give you good advice and will probably have a leaflet.

You should also contact your local Council’s Adult Social Care Depertment and ask them for their information about respite care.

Age UK also has a wide variety of leaflets and an excellent helpline.

Do contact us again if you require further information.


About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions