Starting up a private care business | QCS

Dear Shelia,

I’m wondering whether you could offer your expertise, I am very keen to start my own business caring for young adults with mild to moderate learning disabilities. This would be a private run business, offering 24 hour care, for approx. 4 clients.

We have a four bed country cottage and would be using this facility to house our residents.

Could you tell me how I would commence the first phase of this business please?

Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott

Dear Belinda,

Apologies however I am unsure from your email whether or not you are aware of the requirement to register a care home with the Care Quality Commission (CQC) before you can operate a care home.

You should first of all read the information on their website beginning with

You can find all the information you need on the CQC website to begin to plan your business for registration. For instance, you will need to have a Registered Manager with the appropriate qualifications and experience in place when you apply (this can be yourself) and you will also need to have all the required policies, procedures and forms in place.

An application for registration can be a lengthy process unless of course you have already done this.

You must be certain too that your building meets current Fire Safety regulations.

If you are not an experienced Adult Social Care professional, I would advise you to take some professional advice possibly by joining one of the national trade associations.

If you have already done all of this and have been registered and are now asking for marketing and such like advice then please come back to me.

Best wishes,


About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions