Ask the Care Specialists

Welcome to our 'Ask the Care Specialists', your one-stop portal for social care-related questions. Our team of specialists will try to answer as many of your Social Care questions as possible.

What insurance do I need to be a private carer?

What insurance do I need to be a private carer?

Many thanks for your question. As a self-employed carer or personal assistant, you will need to have Public Liability Insurance. This is because there are some risks involved in the job, especially if you have to give medicine to your service user, or help them move from room to room. Having a public liability insurance policy protects you in situations that involve personal injury, errors, accidents, abuse claims and other risks within the job role. If you are employed by a service user directly, they should have Employer’s Liability Insurance in place. However, it is  recommended that you also take out your own insurance policy. Hopefully, you won’t need to use it however but like all insurance, it is good to have.

Philippa Shirtcliffe

QCS Clinical Policy Lead

Philippa Shirtcliffe is Head of quality at QCS. She is a registered nurse with over 30 years working in Health and Social Care. She has had varied career undertaking operational and strategic leadership roles within social care. Read more

What would you like to ask our Specialists?

Have you got a social care question that you just can't find the answer to? Our team of sector specialists is here to provide you with easy-to-understand top tips on a wide range of topics, from dementia, mental health to employment law or every day operational queries to help you deliver outstanding care.

We try to answer as many of your questions as possible. We give priority to frequently asked questions and questions regarding current events and trends. To learn more about the team visit:

Please note that our specialists cannot offer answers to matters requiring legal advice. Please do have a look at our website at other answers provided by our experts and in our Expert Insights section There is a wealth of information here freely accessible that could help you.

Important note: We are not in any way affiliated or connected to the Care Quality Commission, Care Inspectorate Scotland, or Care Inspectorate Wales. If your query relates to someone who is at risk of harm or in danger, you must follow your local safeguarding procedures. It is important that you speak to your regulator who will provide you with the best guidance and support.

    Join over 130,000 users already using the QCS Management System!
    Start Free Trial Buy Now
    Back to Top