What insurance is required as a Registered Manager? | QCS

I am a registered nurse with indemnity insurance with the RCN. I have recently become a registered CQC manager for a Domiciliary Care business. I am concerned that my insurance is not adequate for the risk associated with this role. What insurance should I have?

Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott

Thank you for your email. In terms of your RCN Indemnity Insurance, unfortunately, it does not cover nurses who have an employment contract. I discussed your question with Howdens The QCS Insurance partner and this is what they said,  ‘The Domiciliary Care operation for whom you carry out the managerial role would be required by the CQC to carry adequate insurance to protect the business, service users and employees  As a minimum they should carry Public Liability, Employers Liability, Medical Malpractice and Professional Indemnity and as the manager of the operation, the role you carry out would fall under the protection afforded by that policy.’ I would suggest you talk to the Nominated Individual about your concerns and the level of insurance your organisation has.  I hope this helps.

About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions