What qualifications do I need to start up my own care agency? | QCS

Hi Sheila, I want to start my own care agency, what qualifications do I need to start?

Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott


Dear A,


Thank you for your question.


I presume that you intend to manage the business as well as own it.


My first question would be what qualifications do you already have?


There will be some qualifications that will be taken into account by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) such as a business qualification in the same way that a social care or a nursing qualifications will be relevant.


Additionally CQC will take into account the amount of experience you have especially experience in a senior position in adult social care.


The ideal qualification is a Level 5 Diploma in Health and Social Care and sometimes CQC will make it a condition of registration that the Level 5 Diploma in Health and Social Care is achieved within a reasonable time frame.


This is what CQC requires the Manager to have:


“The necessary skills, qualifications, competence and experience. The purpose of the registered manager requirement, is to regulate the person managing the regulated activity on a day to day basis at the location where the regulated activity is provided, rather than a more senior manager who is not in day to day charge at the location”.


There is further information on the CQC website.


With best wishes.




About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions