Who Do I Need To Inform When Opening A Day Centre For Adults With Learning Difficulties? | QCS

Hi Sheila

I am wanting to start a day centre for adults with learning difficulties. We will do craft sessions and health and well-being sessions. They will run from a house purchased with this in mind. Do I have to inform local authorities?

Sheila Scott
Answered by Sheila Scott


Dear P,


Thank you for your question.


Day Care has never been an activity regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The Government has, from time to time, said that they will consult about whether or not it should be regulated but they have not said that in recent times.


You can view the extent of  CQC’s regulatory powers in their document ‘The Scope of Regulation’ and this document also contains useful guidance about 

Day Centres:




The opening paragraph of this briefing document makes it clear that:


“The regulated activity of personal care consists of the provision of personal care for people who are unable to provide it for themselves, because of old age, illness or disability, and which is provided to them in the place where those people are living at the time when the care is provided. As an example, this includes personal care provided by a domiciliary care agency. It also includes Shared Lives schemes.”


A Day Centre is obviously not the residence of any of the people that attend.


The flow chart on page 3 of the document also clearly identifies that day care is out of scope of registration.


A Day Care Centre is not subject to any form of regulation except that which is expected of any employer such as Health and Safety (See the Health and Safety Executive website) which offers some form of protection to people using the service, staff and the general public.


In the same way you should also be aware of Food Hygiene regulations and training if you prepare food and you should also be aware of employment law regulation.


More importantly I would advise you to familiarise yourself with your local Council’s position on the Safeguarding of Vulnerable Adults and make sure that your staff receive the appropriate training on safeguarding.


I always advise providers that if they are providing a non-regulated activity in the same premises as a regulated activity that the CQC should be informed and that information should be included in the Statement of Purpose.


I do hope that this is helpful.


Best wishes.




About Sheila Scott

Sheila Scott OBE from National Care Association (NCA). Care is Sheila’s life; she possesses a strong command of the issues facing the care sector informed by her long career as a nursing professional, the owner and manager of a care business and as a leader in the care sector. 3. Read more

Related Questions