Latest news stories and opinions about the Dental, GP and Care Industries. For your ease of use, we have established categories under which you can source the relevant articles and news items.
ICO publishes new guidance for the use of CCTV for businesses
New guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has been developed for organisations including care providers who use or may want to consider surveillance systems to collect and process personal data.
The guidance aims to help you stay within the legal requirements of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018). It covers CCTV, smart doorbells and facial recognition technology.
This guidance includes advice for when you operate video surveillance systems that view or record individuals.
It also provides useful checklists that aim to help you achieve the good practice recommendations.
Following the recommendations in this guidance will, according to the ICO:
- Help you to process personal data lawfully and comply with the UK GDPR, the DPA 2018 and other relevant statutory obligations
- Contribute to the efficient deployment and operation of a surveillance system
- Mean that the personal data you process is usable, and the processing can meet your intended objectives
- Reassure those whose personal data you are processing
- Help inspire wider public trust and confidence in the use of surveillance systems
- Reduce reputational risks by staying within the law and avoiding regulatory action and penalties
Read Video Surveillance Guidance here.
CQC guidance on Using Surveillance in your Care Service.
You can also read the latest article by our care expert discussing the use of CCTV in social care settings here.
A CCTV and Use of Hidden Cameras Policy and Procedure is also available in the QCS system. Find out more here.
*All information is correct at the time of publishing. Use of this material is subject to your acceptance of our terms and conditions.