Latest news stories and opinions about the Dental, GP and Care Industries. For your ease of use, we have established categories under which you can source the relevant articles and news items.
QCS GP Podcast: How GP practices can best support people living with dementia?
Our latest episode of the QCS GP Podcast is now available for listening here:
You can also download the podcast and listen to it on your platform of choice. The podcast is available on Apple, Spotify, Google and more!
More about this episode:
In this month’s podcast, I’ll be talking about dementia with Jackie Pool, QCS’s Dementia Care Champion.
Dementia is a condition that has touched so many of our lives. It affects 850,000 people in the UK. Astonishingly, according to the Alzheimer’s Society, 1 in 6 people over 80 have dementia, and 70 percent of people in care homes live with dementia, or have severe memory problems.
Jackie, who recently joined QCS, has worked with people living with dementia for almost 40 years. An occupational therapist, and an acclaimed author in the field of dementia care, Jackie has vast experience having worked in healthcare, social care and in academia.
In this Podcast, we’ll be focusing on:
- How GP services can ensure that people living with dementia receive an excellent standard of support.
- Fresh insight and perspectives on how GPs can best provide support.
- The role of collaboration and creating more joined-up services
- The protocols that the CQC expects to be in place.
- How GPs can not only demonstrate the requisite policies and procedures to a CQC inspector, but also evidence best practice steps that go over and above what is expected
- The crucial role Patient Participation Groups can play in effecting positive change.
- The importance of creating dementia-friendly GP surgeries by thinking about space and adapting signage and colour schemes.
- The PAL tool: What is it and how can it make a difference
More about Jackie Pool:
An experienced occupational therapist, Jackie has worked in a number of high profile roles for some of the country’s largest Health and Social Care " href="https://www.qcs.co.uk/health-and-social-care/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">health and social care providers. She is also a prolific national and international conference speaker and author of books and articles on the topic of dementia.
Jackie also works in academia, where she’s a researcher at the Universities of Manchester and Exeter, and has collaborated with academics from Bangor University on a ground-breaking study, which assesses the impact of cognitive rehabilitation on those living with dementia.
As Dementia Care Champion, Jackie will play an integral role in helping QCS to create a progressive best practice dementia strategy for Health and Social Care Providers. QCS will also fully support Jackie to further advance her trailblazing PAL Instrument, which QCS has also acquired.
*All information is correct at the time of publishing. Use of this material is subject to your acceptance of our terms and conditions.